Friday 4 September 2009

Loves Young Scum

Photobucket

It's been a while since I've posted on our beloved Lost In Paris site but the birthday of a friend this week inspired me out of my self-imposed exile.
Pre-Lost In Paris, I used to lord (or should that be lady) over Marquis Cha Cha records. In 3ish years we released 33 singles and 3 albums from artists including Let's Wrestle, Bromheads Jacket, Whitey, Thomas Tantrum and Tiger Force.
I loved each band individually, if not all in slightly different ways.
There was however one band who were always secretly my favourite and that band were The Oxfam Glamour Models.

They were a gaggle of destructive teenage boys, a whirlwind of untuned guitars, witty lyrics and full of endless tales of northern things we'd never heard of (what is a parmo?)
Funny thing was, they were generally terrible live but always very charming with it.
They did a tour opening up for Bromheads Jacket which was frequently interrupted by the footie element of their audience - baffled by the boys in eyeliner and velvet blazers - chucking beer. It only encouraged TOGM more.
My 3 favourite TOGM moments:
* Singer Emmett once texted me from the stage, mid-gig, asking: "any good?". My reply; "It's alright."
* Bassist Callum once smacked Emmett in the head with his bass and the picture of him covered in blood sneaked onto the front cover of the NME.
* Drummer Ryan Pilot once almost burned down my kitchen.

But you know what, they had incredible songs. In particular their debut single, Kick Out The Grams and lost gem Loves Young Scum, which we now share with you.

So Emmett, happy birthday, and long live The Oxfam Glamour Models.

The Oxfam Glamour Models - Kick Out The Grams








The Oxfam Glamour Models - Loves Young Scum






2 comments:

Ryan Pilot said...

Aw, that was a lovely read Alex. We got quite good live when we were splitting up. I don't remember nearly burning your kitchen down, was that when you brought us lots of nice pastry things for breakfast? We all loved you the best too, but you know that.

x

Carl said...

I've seen them + Bromheads about 8 times. Fond memories. I also used to know the words to Loves Young Scum by heart but alas, time has ravaged my brain. At least I can learn them all over again now!